When we were growing up my mom made hot apple cider EVERY Christmas! It was our "thing" if she didn't make it it didn't feel like Christmas. I have had well, I would venture to say hundreds of cups of cider in my life and I have decided this is my favorite recipe, for five reasons:
- It's the Easiest and Fastest way to make it
- It's the Cheapest way to make it
- It's incredibly yummy!
- It can be made in single servings or in a large pot
- It's got some give or take ingredients
Here are the basic ingredients:
- Apple Juice
- Red Hots
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Red or green apple slices
- Whipped Cream
Instructions for SINGLE Serving:
- Heat in a coffee cup on High the apple juice for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Add Red Hots and stir until they are almost dissolved.
- Grab a Cinnamon Stick and stir for about 20 seconds.
- Leave it to sit a cool with cinnamon stick in the cup for about 2 minutes.
- Enjoy! (I keep the stick in my cup while I'm drinking it..it's more fun and gets richer the further down the cup you get)
Instructions for 12 cup Serving:
- Pour Apple Juice into your coffee pot (this is based on 12 cups)
- Then put it into the place that you normally would put the water in.
- In a coffee filter add 1 Tbs. of red hots and 2-6 (depending on your preference) Cinnamon sticks broken in half
- Turn coffee pot on and enjoy!
Option Ingredient Usage:
When I have the time and patience I like to add a sliver of an apple into my cider and leave it until the end and eat it!
I try not to because I like to watch my calories (not all the time, but with home made drinks I do) but I add whipped cream then drizzle on caramel and sprinkle on a tiny bit of nutmeg on top! Mmmmm!
I hope you enjoy your easy, cheap, yummy hot cider!
Make sure and clean out the coffee pot as soon as it is all gone. It becomes extremely sticky and hard to clean if not. I also filter through another 12 cups of water, no filter, after making apple cider to make sure the machine doesn't get sticky too!